Who we are
Appalachian Bear Rescue (ABR) is a one-of-a kind facility in Townsend, Tennessee that rehabilitates injured and orphaned black bears and cubs of the Smokies and the Southeastern United States. Our mission is to rehabilitate orphaned and injured bears for release to the wild; to educate the public about black bears and the regional threats facing them; and to research bear attributes which may help solve other environmental or health related issues.
What we do
ABR receives injured and orphaned cubs from wildlife officials, at which point their health is assessed. If a bear is malnourished, ABR begins formula feeding it immediately. If the cub in ABR’s care is a neonatal (nursing cub) wildlife officials try to find a surrogate mother to care for the cub.
Older cubs live in ABR’s enclosures behind blind-covered fencing, where they do not come into contact with humans. The environment that the enclosures create is nearly identical to the wild, and all of the food that the bears would normally gather is available. As soon as these cubs are ready, ABR reintroduces them into the wild. Before release, each bear is tagged and numbered for tracking purposes
Why we do it
Bears are an integral part of the Great Smoky Mountains. Appalachian Bear Rescue is a 501(c)(3)nonprofit organization that is dedicated to preserving the role that bears play in the Smokies and in other ecosystems across the United States. A primary goal of ABR is to make sure that the bears do not associate people with a food source.
How you can help
As a nonprofit organization operating with limited resources, we do need your help:
1. Mail a check to us: send your tax-deductible check to Appalachian Bear Rescue, P.O. Box 364, Townsend, Tennessee 37882
2. Visit our website:
- click the DONATE link to send us a contribution online through PayPal
- click the CAMPAIGNS link to learn about our most urgent fund-raising needs
- click the VOLUNTEER link to find out how you can volunteer your time or services
- click the OTHER WAYS YOU CAN HELP US link for even more ways you can help us